Menstrual cycles are a really important part in a woman’s life. However, it tends to be highly problematic. Menstrual cycles can be enormously painful for some women. Also, a heavy flow of menstrual blood makes for an irritating and unpleasant period. Luckily, there are some ways to delay your periods. There are methods to shorten and lighten periods. You can definitely use home remedies and conventional medicines alike to delay your period. However, you cannot put a stop to them completely for the rest of your life. Now, do you really want to know how to stop your period early/ones it starts? then go with our article and explore your knowledge on this topic.
Is it Safe to Stop Your Period?
It is quite safe to use conventional birth control ways to delay periods, only after consulting your doctor. In truth, it may be good for your health because it prevents heavy bleeding or painful cramps, leading to anemia. You can also save a lot of money on feminine products. However, most women eventually experience some bleeding even when they use continuous birth control. In case of some women, it might not occur for several years, merely months for others. Many women opt to schedule this withdrawal of bleeding for every few months to avoid surprises.
20 Highly Useful Methods on How to Stop Your Period Early
Heat makes the fluids leave your body quicker. Heat dilates blood vessels in the abdomen, which will help make the blood flow fast.
- Take a heating pack and fill it with hot water.
- Lie down on your back.
- Place the pack on your lower abdomen. The heat will ease menstrual cramps.
- Do it twice daily.
2. Use Pill and Hormonal Supplements
You might think that pills and hormonal supplements are only effective when you do not want to be pregnant. However, you may take the pills or supplements consecutively to make your period short. Some of the hormonal pills could even make the lining to shed quicker, making your menstruation arrive faster. Remember, you must discuss taking these with your doctor and ask for right prescriptions to right pills and supplements for you.
We can name some non-hormonal medicines. Lysteda is a non-hormonal, FDA-approved drug that can treat heavy bleeding during period. It stabilizes a protein which helps blood to clot. This drug is taken three times a day typically. It is taken for as long as five days during menstruation.
3. Regular Exercise
Exercise is essentially important in general. Being physically healthy can make your periods lighter and shorter. Exercising is a great way to make your period short in a natural way, sustainable and beneficial over a long period of time. Staying vigorous and sticking to one consistent exercise routine will help you in making your period more controllable.
Exercising helps relax your uterine muscles to reduce period flow. If you exercise all through the month, you may not experience PMS or pre-menstrual symptoms such as bloating, moodiness and cramping. Keeping up an exercise routine through your period is quite safe. Gynecologists recommend light exercises during your period. A little jog of 30 minutes, weight training, yoga stretches, belly dancing or cycling could help with your heavy period and reduce bleeding. Some women believe they should not exercise while on their periods, but that is not correct. Exercise helps your period end quicker and also makes the cramps less agonizing.
4. Massage Your Uterus Area
Massaging your abdomen will help with your cramps. The massage gives the body the relief and passing of fluids that it needs.
- Lie down on your back.
- Place your hands on the abdomen.
- Massage slowly all over the area, putting minimal pressure.
- The uterus is quite tender during your periods, so do not put too much pressure.
- Do this once a day.
Norethisterone tablets are medication to help you delay your period. Women that are not comfortable taking contraceptive pills can use norethisterone tablets instead if they want to postpone their menstrual. Norethisterone is the artificial version of one kind of sex hormone that occurs naturally in the human body. This comes from a group of hormones named progestogens. It is found in mini pills and the combined contraceptive pills as well. You can take these pills in order to delay your period, like when you are planning to go on a holiday. You should take the norethisterone tablets three days before the date for period arrives. This can delay your period, but you must keep taking the pills. Your periods can arrive up to three days after you have stopped taking the last tablet.
- In order to delay your period, you should take a tablet no less than three times a day, starting three days before your monthly cycle date is expected.
- Every tablet has 5mg of norethisterone. You have to make sure that you take the pills at the same time each day.
- The best dosage timings are thus- one after breakfast in the morning, one around midday after lunch and one in the evening after dinner.
- If you happen to miss out on one dosage, forgetting to take a tablet, you should never take two tablets at once to make up for your forgotten dose.
- Remember, you must have a prescription in order to buy the norethisterone tablets. So it would be best if you consult our doctor first, discuss the usage of these pills with your physical condition.
Norethisterone Side Effects
Period delaying pills like norethisterone pills could cause bad side effects. They are not always suitable for everyone. You should not take tablets containing norethisterone in case of the following conditions:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you ever suffer from unexplained vaginal bleeding, that is not related to period.
- If you are allergic to hormones such as norethisterone.
- If you have a history of any liver problems.
- If you happen to have a family history of blood clotting or have ever had a blood clot in your life.
- If you have ever had any kind of itchy rash called jaundice and pemphigoid gestation is during your pregnancy.
- If you have had a heart attack ever.
- If you happen to suffer from angina.
- If you have a case of severe itching called pruritus.
- If you have a blood-related disease called porphyria.
6. Birth Control Methods
Female contraceptives could shorten the duration of period over time. Some could also shorten the bleeding volume and give you a lighter flow. The others can decrease the number of periods that you have every year.
When you are on oral contraceptives, you take one pill every day for twenty-one days generally. The active pills consist of a combination of progesterone and estrogen or the female hormone estrogen. After that, you ingest a placebo pill for seven days. The placebo pill has no hormones. That is what lets you have your period during that time. The most general way to suppress menstruation will be to leave out placebo and immediately begin a new twenty-one days cycle. Without the placebo, your body cannot start a period. You should know that this may have some side effects, so have caution before you proceed with this.
This method works best if you take some oral contraceptive which combines progesterone and estrogen, offering the same hormonal dose of hormones in each pill every day. It is called monophasic COC, combined oral contraceptive.
There are numerous monophasic COCs available such as Ovral, Ogestrel , Ovcon, Nordette, Levlite, Levora, Apri, Brevicon, Alesse, Levlen, Loestrin, Norinyl, Ortho-Novum, Ortho-Cept and Ortho-Cyclen.
You cannot buy oral contraceptives without a prescription, so you have to see your doctor. You should discuss your necessities with your doctor during your time on the contraceptive pill. You should only buy the prescribed pills for you.
7. Menstrual Cups
You can use menstrual cups in order to hide the period. Menstrual cups will fit right above your cervix and stop any blood from getting away. The chemicals and bleach mostly used in disposable tampons and pads increase bleeding. Women using re-useable silicone menstrual cups discover that they decrease the duration of periods and end menstrual cramps as well. A menstrual cup will simply catch the blood. You could wear one for almost twelve hours, hiding as well as stopping your period for the time being.
The soft cups are a more disposable form of menstrual cups. They are a great choice if you wish to have sex with no mess. Neither your partner nor you will feel them.
8. Have a Hot Bath
You should enjoy a hot bath to make your period end quickly. Soaking in warm water is a good way to boost your body heat and relax abdominal muscles. It also promotes dilation and increases blood flow to your uterus. Heat and water both help speed up the flow and help the period stop soon.
[ Also Read: How to Get Rid of Vaginal Discharge ]
9. Endometrial Ablation
This is a surgical procedure involves taking out the lining of your uterus that stops periods for a specific period of time. If you are having too many problems with heavy bleeding during periods, you may keep this as an alternative.
Ablation stands for removing something by erosion, melting, vaporization or evaporation. In this case, we are talking about your uterus, the source of your menstruation. Endometrial ablation is conducted with a hysteroscope, plus a device that will heat, freeze or laser your endometrial lining. That destroys one layer of your endometrial lining. After that, your monthly menstrual period is going to stop completely for a while. Generally, you cannot become pregnant after a uterine ablation. You will do well to remember that women can get pregnant even after this procedure. Take measures to review sterilization or birth control, since post-ablation pregnancies may be risky. A few insurance companies ask that a woman gets sterilized before they pay for her ablation procedure.
10. Take Ibuprofen
Ibuprofen is able to reduce the pain you get during periods and keep the flow really down. In some cases, ibuprofen can put an end to your period altogether. If you wonder about making your period stop once it has begun, ibuprofen is going to be your best option. Remember to not take more than 3 pills inside a 24 hour period since overdosing will be hazardous to your health. You should consult your doctor about using any dosage of ibuprofen to get proper guidance as well.
A lot of women who breastfeed exclusively discover that they are not going to have a period for at least a month to two years after the baby is born. Breastfeeding takes up a lot of the fluids in your body to spare any in your periods.
During their pregnancy, women do not get periods, though some of the women with hormonal troubles might experience some faux monthly bleeding called decidual bleeding. Though we do not recommend that you get pregnant, but it is an option.
13. Drink Vinegar, Gelatin, Herbal Tea and a lot of Water
Vinegar may not be the best answer to stopping your period when it starts, but it can definitely slow down the blood flow and help you manage your periods better.
- Take one glass of water.
- Mix about three teaspoons of vinegar.
- Drink up. Do this twice every day.
You can also do it with apple cider vinegar. You can drink three glasses of a solution of apple cider vinegar and water.
- You have to drink a lot of fresh water. That is going to flush out the toxic waste through your period much faster and can also help lighten up your blood flow. It is very important to drink a lot of water regularly. During your period, you have to drink much more water. It will quicken the flow of toxic blood through your system.
- Mix a glass of water with a packet of gelatin and drink it. it could delay your period for only a few hours.
- You could use herbal remedies to delay your period. Angelica root, raspberry leaves, garden sage, lady mantle and shepherd’s purse- tea from these herbs can lighten up menstruation.
- Chasteberry is a herb that acts by controlling high levels of prolactin. Prolactin is a hormone released by pituitary glands to trigger menstruation ovulation. Taking a 20 mg dose of Chasteberry up to three times a day will help. This is available in tablet, liquid and capsule form.
- Drinking three cups of warm raspberry tea will help relieve painful menstrual cramps and reduce heavy menstrual bleeding.
Taking meadowsweet for one week before your period arrives will delay it. Many herbs such as Evening Primrose, Black Currant and Borage have GLA, aka gamma linolenic acid, can stimulate Prostaglandin, regulating periods. You only make sure that you take it for a week before your period starts.
15. Lemon Can Stop your Period
Lemon juice is capable of delaying your period when it starts, diluting and lightening the flow.
- Squeeze out a fresh lemon and get the juice.
- Take a glass of lukewarm water.
- Pour the lemon juice in the water.
- For best results, drink three glasses a day.
16. Eat a lot of Fruits and Vegetables
Food like fresh fruits and vegetables are good for your overall health. Eating more fruits and vegetables during your period will make you feel better. We have a list of food items for you here-
- Green beans can help with delaying your periods.
- You should eat pumpkin, peaches, papaya, apricots, spinach, carrots and other foods rich in carotene. They shorten the duration of periods effectively.
- Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a teaspoon of jaggery powder. Put the mixture in a glass of lukewarm water. Drink this twice a day for a week before your period arrives. Jiggery and turmeric could increase your body heat and make periods end quicker.
- Eat red meat because it improves your body temperature and speeds up your period quite well.
- You have to reduce or limit the amount of salty food you eat, because too much sodium can lead to fluid preservation, making the bloating even worse.
17. Foods That are Natural Blood Thinners
Blood thinners do not influence your period regularity, but they can definitely increase the blood flow. It can also increase the chance of clots in the flow. Foods having high amounts of salicylates include spices, nuts and most fruits, especially dry fruits. Salicylates blocks vitamin K to thin the blood naturally, increasing blood circulation, which increases your metabolism. They are referred to as warm up spices due to the increase in blood circulation which raises your body heat. Again, this boosts up metabolism, making you feel warm. One of the most general salicylates available on the market is aspirin. Let us have a list of foods having salicylates here-
- Fruits: Oranges, raisins, strawberries, tangerines, prunes, cherries, grapes, blueberries, cranberries.
- Herbs: Cayenne pepper, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, ginger, thyme, licorice, peppermint, turmeric
- Others: Honey, vinegar, chewing gum, cider, wine
Turmeric is commonly used in Indian cuisine, as well as used in Chinese and Native American medication as anti-inflammatory medicine to treat over-bleeding during periods. Garlic, like turmeric, can also reduce the amount of blood flow during your periods and make it light.
18. Take Vitex and Blue Vervain
Both of these herbs are popular hormone regulators. They can significantly lessen menstrual blood flowing when once it has begun.
19. Have Sex
Although sex may not be the solution to stop your period indefinitely when it starts, it is a sure way to get the period to pass quickly. That is because having sex will cause orgasmic contractions in you. These contractions push the fluid out of the body much faster, helping your period end quickly. Just make sure both your partner and you are good with things getting a bit messy. You may want to lay a towel under you or do it in the shower in order to reduce mess ups.
20. Get Your Doctor’s Help
You must discuss a long-term alternative with your doctor before you take absolutely any kind of medication or remedy. To stop your periods for around two years, you may get a certain injection called Depo-Provera. It is an injection that you get regularly from your doctor.
There are other surgical options available to stop periods permanently. These include a hysterectomy, which is the removal of your womb we already mentioned endometrial ablation, removing the uterus lining. The surgeries may be dangerous and might also make pregnancy options impossible. Consult a doctor before you decide any surgery options.