Stomach cramps, also known as “abdominal pain” is a very common problem among people of all ages. It is very painful but if you take possible remedies, you can cure this problem as soon as possible. Find out how to get rid of stomach cramps, what causes stomach cramps, and what you can do to ease the pain of stomach cramps.
There are many causes of stomach cramps including-
- Food Poisoning
- Painful Menstrual Periods
- Food Allergy Basics
- Viral Gastroenteritis
- Urinary Tract Infection
Here we are giving you some important remedies that will be very helpful to get rid of stomach cramps and will make your life easier, comfortable and problem free.
20 Best Ways to Get Rid of Stomach Cramps Naturally
1. Take Antacids
Antacids or acid blockers are very effective to get rid of stomach aches and cramps. It will help you to relive from your unwanted indigestion and heartburn. There are different kinds of antacids available in the markets or pharmacies, such as- H2 blockers, Proton pump inhibitors (PPI’s) and Tums, and these will help you to cure your problem.
2. Rice Water
Another great remedy is rice water, which will help you a lot to get rid of stomach cramps. After cooking your rice, you will get this water and it works very effectively. The substances of rice water will help you relieve the inflammation of the membrane. Try to follow the rules while making solution of rice water:
- After getting the rice water, add 2 cups of warm water in it.
- Let it cool.
- After cooling, you need to add honey.
- Then you can drink the rice water. After that you have to take rice as your meal.
3. Enjoy Some Mint
It is also very effective to get rid of stomach cramps. It will help you to relax your stomach muscles and also increase the level of flow, which mainly help you to digest all your foods.
- Put some peppermint into a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for a few minutes.
- Drink this three times a day.
If you use peppermint leaves, you can chew them to ease the pain too. You could use a teabag for easy drinking.
4. Chamomile Tea
Another great remedy which works great to cure your problem soon is chamomile tea. It is fully loaded with anti inflammatory properties which will help you improve your digestive system. It also soothes the overall system of your body and makes you feel better.
- Pour some boiling water in a mug.
- Put a chamomile teabag in it.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Drink two times a day.
5. Licorice as Stomach Cramps Remedy
Many of us do not like the taste of licorice. But it is very useful to solve the problem of stomach cramps. All you have to do is follow this simple procedure-
- Cut a piece of raw licorice and clean it.
- Then chew it.
- Do it for 3 minutes.
- It will be better if you do this before taking your meal.
[ Also Read: How to Treat Food Poisoning at Home ]
6. Water is Life!
Water is principally considered as the best beauty elixir of the world. It can solve different problems of human body including stomach cramps. It will improve you digestive systems and make you feel better. Try to drink water as much as you can.
You could use a hot water bag as compressor as well. Heat helps your stomach to loosen up and relax your muscles. If you have a bad cramping trouble, some warmth in the right place can relieve you from the awful discomfort.
You should find a cozy place to lay yourself down. Take a bottle or a compressor and fill it with water. Put the hot water pack on your belly. Make sure it is a comfortable temperature, but warm. Do it for 15 minutes, or as long as needed, reheating if necessary.
7. Salt Water
To get rid of stomach cramps, you can also try salt water. It will work greatly. It will relax your stomach muscles and enhance your energy level.
- Take a cup of water and warm it.
- Add 1 table spoon of salt in it.
- Let them cool.
- Drink it quickly like normal water.
8. Ginger for Stomach Cramps Treatment
Ginger works as a preventive measure to get rid of stomach cramps. Ginger helps to stimulate digestive juices and also helps enzymes to digest your food properly.
You can take ginger after finishing your meal and chew it slowly. Ginger has naturally formed chemicals such as gingerols and shogaols. Those chemicals help relax smooth muscles, such as muscles that line your intestinal track. That relieves stomach cramps and stomach ache.
Ginger root is great for relieving nausea too, which might accompany the stomachache. Drinking some warm ginger tea could be useful as remedy for stomach pains and more useful than ginger ale.
- Cut a medium fresh ginger root in thin slices.
- Boil a cup of water. Add the slices.
- Boil it for five minutes, then simmer for five minutes more.
- Strain the tea and add honey.
- Drink the tea two or three times a day.
Drink ginger tea in order to ease stomach pain and improve digestion.
9. Take Medicine
In order to ease your cramps, and lessen the bleeding in case of period cramps, take an Advil, ibuprofen or acetaminophen when the pain starts. These are over the counter medicines. But you should consult a doctor before you take any sort of medicine. Take the prescribed quantity every six hours for at least three days.
You must continue taking any medicine as your doctor directs you for as long as you are prescribed until the symptoms go away. In case your cramps are serious, your doctor might also prescribe some birth control medicine. That could reduce the severity of the cramps.
10. Baking Soda
Baking soda is effective for bad stomach cramps. Add one teaspoon of baking soda with one cup of lukewarm water and drink. Baking soda is alkaline, which restores the pH balance of your body and counteracts all infections, relieving your stomach cramps as well as gas and bloating. You can do the following procedure for best results.
- Squeeze juice out from a lemon. Add one quarter teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda to one glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink the solution immediately, before all the fizz bubbles out.
- Drink this three times every day until the stomach cramps go down.
Take some yoghurt when you suffer from indigestion, which is one of the reasons for stomach pains. It is particularly effective in diarrhea as bacteria in the yoghurt aids in proper digestion of food. It is good for the stomach’s general health. In truth, yogurt with good bacteria cultures improves digestion and alleviates stomach aches from indigestion.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of pure yogurt and a dash of salt in one cup of warm water.
- Add 3 teaspoons of fresh coriander juice.
- Finally, mix half a teaspoon of cardamom powder to it.
- Drink it once every hour after your meals to relieve stomach ache.
You may also take unsweetened and pure yogurt by itself four times a day. Stop it when you notice the cramps reducing.
12. Coconut Water
To get rid of stomach cramps, coconut water is very effective. It contains lots of vitamins as well as minerals which prevent the indigestion and it is very effective for your stomach. It will be better, if you drink coconut water twice a day.
13. Rosemary Oil
The oil is not edible but can be applied to relieve you of stomach cramps.
- Warm up a few drops of oil.
- Lie down and apply the oil on your stomach wherever it hurts.
- Rub the oil in. It will soothe the stomach ache.
[ Also Read : Irritable Bowel Syndrome Foods to Avoid ]
14. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps to improve digestion and is a great home remedy for stomach ache from digestion. The antibiotic properties of apple cider vinegar will appease your stomach and improve digestion. We recommend drinking a mixture before having your meal-
- Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of warm water.
- Pour a tablespoon of honey to it.
- Drink the mixture every few hours up until the stomach cramps are gone.
Lemon is a natural remedy which is very effective to rid of stomach cramps. It has a high acidity level which prompts the production of hydrochloric acid. This hydrochloric acid mainly breaks your food down. It also produces HCL which will help you to digest your food properly. By producing hydration, it also keeps the system smooth and flushed.
16. Fennel Seeds
If your stomach ache is coming from indigestion, chewing on fennel seeds should help as they have anethole. It is oil that stimulates the discharge of digestive juices, helping to move things along. It could also help appease inflammation, reducing the pain caused from it. If you suffer from gastritis, it will give you relief from cramps.
- After your meal, chew on a teaspoon of fennel seeds. However, if you are pregnant, you must avoid fennel.
- Pour a teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds into a cup of hot water. Let the water steep for 10 minutes. Strain the water and let it cool. Add some honey to it and drink slowly.
Asafetida, also called hing, is great for treating stomach cramps. it has antiflatulent and antispasmodic properties which help treat stomach cramps caused by indigestion or gas.
- Put a pinch of asafetida into a glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir it well. You could add a pinch of rock salt as well.
- Drink it three times a day.
This tonic is similarly effective for both gas and stomach ache. Alternatively-
- Simply add a teaspoon of asafetida in a cup of warm water.
- Dip a cotton cloth into the solution.
- Place the cloth on your stomach for 15 minutes. It will pacify the stomach and reduce cramps.
- Do it three times a day.
[ Also Read: How to Get Rid of Indigestion Fast ]
Peppermint can aid to reduce stomach cramps. The antispasmodic properties of peppermint help relieve the pain in the muscles of digestive tract. 3 cups of peppermint tea a day can ease your stomach cramps.
- In order to make peppermint tea, take a cup of boiling water.
- Add a teaspoon of dry peppermint in it.
- Let it brew for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water and add some honey.
Alternatively, you could chew fresh peppermint leaves whenever you can for some quick relief.
19. Healthy Diet Chart
A healthy diet chart plays an important role to get rid of stomach cramps. Healthy diet chart contains lots of vitamins and minerals. All the vitamins and minerals improve the immune system and make your body to fight against stomach cramps.
20. Outdoor Activities
If you are suffering from continued stomach cramps, it might be because your stomach is getting too little exercise. Studies say that some physical activity helps fluid movement throughout the GI tract, while lying in bed or resting too much can induce constipation. Although this unorthodox treatment is less scientifically based than others are, it does work. Activities like-
- Moderate running
- Playing light outdoor games like tennis and football
- Playing an active indoor games
We advise you to hold off on some of the more stomach turning activities for a while.
(If these remedies do not work properly in curing stomach cramps then please consult with your doctor as soon as possible and don’t take any kind of medicine without consulting the doctor.)