Phlegm, also known as throat mucus, is mainly described as an uncomfortable sensation you experience when mucus drips from the back of your nose or clogs up your throat. The glands of your throat and nose produce approximately 1 to 2 liters of mucus per day. It’s not a serious health problem at all but if it is not treated timely, it will create obstruction in bronchial tubes and also create secondary upper respiratory infection. Here we are providing 24 best and effective tips based on your search on how to get rid of phlegm fast using home remedies. So, let us move with some important remedies to get rid of Phlegm at home.
Causes of Phlegm in Throat
Too much of mucus building in throat is often because of extreme post nasal drip. This is mostly caused by allergies, common cold and flu. Other causes include:
- Strep throat
- Chemical Inhalants
- Medication side effects
- Air pollution
- Changing weather fronts
How to Get Rid of Phlegm Fast: Some Natural Remedies You Probably Didn’t Know
1. Milk and Turmeric
Turmeric has antiseptic properties. Drinking milk along with turmeric is more effective in fighting infections. To make a solution of milk and turmeric you have to follow the following steps-
- Take a glass of hot milk and add a teaspoon of turmeric in it.
- It will be better if you mix honey with it.
- Let it be cool.
- Drink this solution before going to the bed everyday.
2. Lemon Juice
To get rid of Phlegm lemon juice is very effective. Lemon tries to prevent Phlegm and most important factor it has antibacterial properties which mainly prevents the other infections of the throat.
- Boil some water to lukewarm temperature.
- Squeeze one lemon.
- Pour the juice into the warm water.
- Drink this juice twice a day.
3. Herbal Tea
Herbal tea does not contain any caffeine. It is very effective to get rid of Phlegm. It helps to reduce the uncomfortable feeling that caused by throat congestion.
- Warm some water and pour it in a cup.
- Take one bag of herbal tea and put it into the cup.
- Let the tea brew for a couple of minutes.
- Drink this tea every day, twice if possible.
4. Soft Drinks, Alcohol
Soft drinks, alcohol and carbonated beverages are very harmful. Those who are suffering from this problem, they should avoid these products.
- You have to avoid fizzy drinks and soda pops.
- Avoid all kinds of sweetened juices and beverages.
- Avoid alcohol at all times.
- If you have to drink, drink naturally squeezed fruit juice.
5. Plenty of Water
If your body is producing a lot of Phlegm, it means it is trying to ward off sickness and your immune system is working on overdrive.
- Give your body plenty of water for doing its job.
- Try to drink at least 3 liters water in a day.
- Usually, 1 liter is sufficient, but for the time being, you have to increase the amount.
- Water also helps you to maximize the physical performance and increase the energy level of your body.
6. Chickpea Powder
Another highly effective home remedy for phlegm is chickpea powder. This home remedy is widely used for a lot of reasons to get rid of mucus.
- Take one tsp of oil in a pan and fry two tablespoons of chickpea powder until it turns light brown.
- Add one teaspoon of honey and powdered almonds along with thirty ounces of water.
- Stir it properly and remove it from the heat.
- Consume it two times a day for 4-5 days.
Ginger is considered as a natural decongestant and it is fully loaded with antibacterial, antiviral, and expectorant properties which fight against the infections and also helps you breathe easier.
- Make a ginger paste or cut it into slices.
- Warm some water and make some tea of it.
- Pour the ginger into it and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Drink this ginger tea every day.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in anti-bacterial properties and other vitamins like – Vitamin E, A, B1, B2, calcium and magnesium. To get rid of phlegm it works better.
- The taste of the cider vinegar is not so good but to get rid of Phlegm it works better.
- Swallow it quickly as you can and wait for 5-10 seconds.
- If the taste is still there, drink some water.
- Or mix 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar and 6 ounces of lukewarm water.
- You can try adding a little more Stevia to enhance the flavor.
- Drink 2 or 3 times a day for best result.
9. Eat Toast
To break down the Phlegm of your body, toast works very effectively.
- Toast scrapes the throat softly and removes some of the phlegm as it is ingested.
- Make the toast medium, not too burnt and not too little.
- Don’t take liquid food along with toast like milk or juice.
- Eat toast in the morning and in the evening snacks.
[ Also Read: How to Get Rid Of Sore Throat ]
10. Warm Liquids
Drinking different warm liquids will help you to get rid of phlegm and it also keeps your body full of fluid. Whether it is tea, chicken soup or something in between, warm liquids will help breaking up some of the mucus stuck in your throat. There are many warm liquids you can take-
- Chicken soup
- Coffee, though the caffeine count is high but it keeps your system running.
- Warm juices
Steam is the best way to get rid of Phlegm. Inhaling steam into the nasal passages helps keep Phlegm in liquid form. So it is easier to eliminate from your system.
- Warm some water until it boils. Pour it into a large bowl.
- Lower your head over the bowl. Cover your eyes.
- Take a towel and put it over the entire system.
- Start inhaling deeply. Continue as long as possible. Do it every day for ten minutes.
12. Use a Humidifier
Humidifier is very effective to get rid of mucus. There are two types of humidifier like cool mist and warm mist. You can use any one to solve your problem. The moisture of the humidifier makes the Phlegm thinner and easy to expel in your body.
13. Chicken Soup
Who doesn’t like chicken soup? It also helps to break the Phlegm of your body. Warm chicken soup will help you to moisturize the airways.
- Make a large pot of chicken soup in the morning.
- Keep it in a heat-retaining container.
- Drink it whenever you can, all day long.
- Try to drink at least one to two soup bowls full of hot chicken soup to clear Phlegm in your throat.
14. Grape Juice and Honey
Grape juice has a very powerful healing properties. Grape juice alleviates the lungs of your body and unclogs the Phlegm. If you’re looking for some delicious way to get rid of your mucus in throat, just drink adequate grape juice.
- Squeeze fresh juice out of a bunch of grapes.
- Pour some lukewarm water in a glass.
- When the grape juice is ready, mix 2 tablespoons of honey and a bit of sugar before you drink it.
- Drink this juice 2 or 3 times a day for at least a week.
15. Lemon Tea
As we all know that lemon is highly rich in citric acid and honey has antiseptic properties which help to loosen the Phlegm and soothes the throat.
- Take some warm water and put a bag of black tea in it.
- Add a spoonful of fresh lemon juice and honey to it.
- Stir and drink it twice a day.
- The same can be done with green tea.
16. Wild Cherry Bark
It is an excellent herbal expectorant that loosens the Phlegm and drives it out from the chest, throat and lungs. Prepare a tea from this fragrant bark or its powder.
- Boil some water too lukewarm temperature.
- Take some bark or its powder and pour in the water.
- Let it stew for a few minutes. Keep boiling.
- Drink this prepared tea twice a day.
Another 8 Do it Yourself Tips to Get Rid of Phlegm In Throat
17. Eat Spicy Foods
Spicy foods help to loosen all the mucus and helps in the easy expulsion of phlegm from your body. You must eat more spicy foods that contain chili peppers, chilly, pepper, horseradish, ginger, wasabi, garlic etc. to make the mucus loose.
18. Don’t Drink Phlegm Producing Drinks
Dairy products can increase the mucus growth in your throat. You should avoid yogurt, sour cream, milk, ice cream, cottage cheese, butter and ghee. If you must drink milk, make sure it is warm enough. Also, alcohol is harmful for your throat. It helps build up mucus. Caffeine does the same thing. Therefore, if you must take tea, drink herbal.
19. Sleep Enough
Enough sleep is necessary to increase the healing mucus performance. Just make sure that you take the time to sleep so you may recharge all the batteries of immune cells in you. This would eventually have a good effect on reducing irritation and phlegm formation, along with symptoms of having a cold. We recommend this as a great way to get rid of phlegm.
20. Using a Vaporizer at Night
During the winter, using a vaporizer is really a great way to help reduce the phlegm that leads to coughing. Make sure you try to lessen this problem of phlegm by using a good vaporizer at night before you go to bed. After a good night’s snooze, your condition is bound to improve. With that, a decrease in phlegm formation into your throat is going to happen.
21. Stop Smoking
Avoiding smoking can be a great solution to get rid of phlegm. If you have high amount of Phlegm, you should avoid smoking. Smoking mainly dries the vocal cords and enhances more amount of Phlegm in your body.
22. Hum Yourself When You Can
It is hypothesized that the humming vibrations help to break up the Phlegm in your throat.
Dr. Idzikowski says-
Breathe gently out of your mouth, lips together so you hum. Try to hum for the whole out-breath. Notice how it vibrates in your chest. Focus fully on this vibration over six breaths then sit quietly for a moment. Tell yourself ‘I am ready for sleep’, get up slowly and go to bed.
23. Cough It Out
Get all the mucus out. Cough all of it out from your throat. As much of it is in, it will multiple itself constantly. Keep warm water close to soothe your throat after every coughing spell.
24. Consume Hot Drinks
Whatever you drink, make sure it is warm. We recommend warm water and fruit juices along with tea. Take hot ginger and tulsi tea as frequently as you can. stay away from cold water, ice cream and chilled drinks.
Besides the above useful suggestions, you can go with the prescription of a doctor if your problem is acute. Actually, if your problem is not acute, you can only go with these remedies properly and regularly. Undoubtedly these remedies are easier and work better.