Keloid is a scar that gets elevated due to the abnormal development of fibrous tissues. You might have just the one, or you might have many. But we want to make sure that you know how to get rid of keloids by using some effective home remedies. Now, here we are providing some numerous home remedies for good.
Symptoms of keloids
Keloids are typically raised, firm, smooth and shiny. These are red and pink. Sometimes these are much lighter and darker in color than its surrounding skin. The keloids extend beyond the original injury area. The size, shape and color might change with time. Keloids are usually not painful, although they can be itchy.
Keloids are likely to grow on arms, ears, back, mid-chest, lower legs and neck. These might form as the wound heals. They might also take months to develop. They will seldom continue to develop indefinitely.
Depending on the location and appearance of the keloids, these could cause psychological distress. This is because keloids can be prominent. They may interfere with movement as well, particularly if they appear on a joint. Keloids can become cancerous in rare cases.
Keloids are different from hypertrophic scars. These scars are abnormally thickened. These extend further than the edges of your injury site and might occur without an inciting injury. These hypertrophic scars are much more common than keloids.
Here are 10 Powerful Home Remedies for Keloid Scars
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
No list of home remedies will be whole without apple cider vinegar. It is known to be very effective in getting rid of keloids because it aids in minimizing the redness and the size of keloid too. It is an excellent home remedy in order to get rid of keloid scars. Some particular elements present in apple cider vinegar can corrode the fatty deposits forming under the skin. Also, it has acidic properties that soften your skin, reducing the manifestation of scars.
- Take one teaspoon of water and two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup.
- Mix them well.
- Apply this solution on your scars with a cotton ball.
- Let it be for about half an hour.
- Wash away with water.
- Do this three times a day for two weeks.
2. Baking Soda
Not many people are aware that baking soda is quite effective if you want to get rid of keloids. It is quite abrasive in nature and can therefore help your skin to be exfoliated by keeping skin free from dead cells, dirt and debris.
- Take three tsp of hydrogen peroxide and one tsp of baking soda.
- Apply the mixture on your scars with a cotton ball.
- Let it be for half an hour and wash off with some lukewarm water.
- Continue doing this four times daily to shrink the keloid scars.
Depending on the harshness of the scar, it can be repeated for three to four weeks.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains a lot of properties which could prevent the manifestation of keloids. It contains vitamin C and antioxidants which can help avoid the keloids. If keloids are already there, using lemon juice could try and change its overall exterior.
- Take a medium-size fresh lemon and squeeze juice out of it.
- Rub the juice on your scar.
- Let it dry for half an hour.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Dry your skin. Apply moisturizing lotion on the area moisturized.
- Do it twice a day for four weeks for best results.
If you continue this home remedy regularly, there will be considerable improvement in the exterior of skin cells, making the scar less noticeable.
Yes, honey tastes great and is a natural healer. Honey can be used as natural cure against keloids as well. This is because of properties of honey which can help moisturize and heal the skin. This can lessen the emergence of keloids.
- Take some fresh organic honey on your palm.
- Apply all over the scars liberally.
- Massage the spot for ten minutes.
- Let it dry for an hour.
- Wash off with warm water.
- For best results, do it twice a day for four weeks.
You can also do this-
- Slice a white onion and put the pieces in a piece of cheesecloth, tying it tightly.
- Place the cloth into a bowl.
- Get another bowl and press it on the cloth to extract fresh onion juice.
- Apply the fresh onion juice on the keloid scars with a cotton ball.
- Let the juice dry. Wash off with warm water.
Continue this three times a day until you notice improvement.
5. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is well known to be a great home remedy for hair care, but people become shocked when they learn that it can also be effective in ridding keloids. It can help skin regenerate. This could help scars heal fast too.
- Clean the affected area carefully.
- Slice a leaf and extract some gel from it.
- Apply the gel all over the scars.
- Let the gel dry on your skin.
- If it dries up, reapply the gel for best result. Let the medicinal properties be fully absorbed.
- Do it five times daily for two weeks.
Remember, this remedy works on fresh scars most effectively. It might not work the same way on old scars.
To get rid of keloids, massages can be done quite simply. Simply massage the spot where the scar forms. Sometimes scars form because of insufficient blood circulation. If you get massages in the area where the scar is forming, the dead skin cells could also be removed.
Use some olive oil for the massage. You might choose to massage the affected area by yourself or you could ask a professional. It depends on the scar’s location. Do it often.
Extra-virgin olive oil improves the formation of keloid scars. This type of extra-virgin olive oil contains high acidity levels that exfoliate your outer skin layer. Also, it contains vitamin E and vitamin K that aid in breaking up scar tissues, keeping your skin soft and moisturized.
- Take a tsp of extra-virgin olive oil and heat it.
- Apply it all over your scars.
- Now, gently massage the spot with small circular motions.
- Let the oil be completely absorbed into the skin.
- Do it three times a day until your scars begin to heal.
There is another method. You can use some extra-virgin olive oil for an exfoliating scrub –
- Mix one tsp olive oil and one tsp of baking soda.
- Mix well to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the scars and rub gently for 10 minutes.
- Now, rinse it off with some lukewarm water.
Repeat this once every day until your scars begin to go away.
You probably think that aspirin is something you need to get rid of headaches or other aching problems in your body. But apart from that, aspirin could also be used to get rid of keloids.
- Take 3 aspirin tablets and grind them to make powder.
- Add water to make a paste.
- Pat the affected spot dry and put some tea tree oil on it.
- Apply the powder and let it dry.
- Repeat daily.
8. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is one ingredient that helps you to get rid of keloids. It has skin regenerating properties. It means that the oil can reduce the size and appearance of keloids.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in lavender oil.
- Dab it all over the affected spots.
- Massage the scars gently for 10 minutes.
- As the oil gets absorbed into the skin, your scars will start to heal.
- Do it twice daily for four weeks.
Also, you can do this-
- Take half a teaspoon each of calendula essential oil and lavender essential oil. Mix them with 10 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Stir and mix these well.
- Apply a little on the scars.
- Massage gently for 5 minutes.
- Let it be for 20 minutes. Wash it off with cold water.
- Do it once a day.
Keep the rest of the mixture in a cool, dry place. It will stay well for a month.
Known to be one of the most effective natural treatments for various skin diseases, this magical skin remedy can clear up a person’s keloids as well. It has toning agents which can cleanse the skin from inside. Sandalwood with rose water is very beneficial in order to get rid of keloids.
- Take one tbsp of sandalwood powder in a small bowl.
- Add some rose water to it and make a smooth paste.
- Apply it on your scars at night before you go to bed.
- Let it be overnight. Then, rinse it off with warm water.
- Continue this once a day for four weeks to notice improvement.
Tea tree oil has powerful anti-bacterial properties that can remove scars gradually, including keloids and surgical scars. Because it is so strong, it must be diluted in water before you apply it to the skin. Remember, never ingest it.
- Add a little tea tree oil and some sandalwood powder with hot water.
- Mix well to make a paste.
- Rub the paste on the scars for five minutes.
- Now, rinse it off.
You might experience some slight tingling or stings after rinsing. That happens because of the anti-bacterial agents working. If tingling persists, just stop using it. Consult your dermatologist before resuming use.
You might not want to use garlic because it smells. It can put off fibroplast proliferation – one of the major reasons why keloids occur.
- Take some fresh garlic cloves.
- Crush them and apply the crushed garlic on your scars.
- Let it be for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- Dry the spot and apply moisturizing lotion.
- Do this remedy once a day for about four weeks.
Alternatively, you can buy some garlic oil and apply some on the scars two times a day for four weeks. It lightens the scar. If garlic oil causes you any discomfort, wash it away immediately with warm water.
How to Get Rid of Keloids Fast Using Medical Treatments
11. Intralesional Steroid Injections
Intralesional steroids improve the keloids and their scars. They need to be taken with a doctor’s consultation.
The steroid injections can help you reduce keloid scars raised above the skin surface. You have to take the steroids once every month until you get completely healed. After a definite period of time, your keloids scars would appear to be flatter.
Steroid injections might help flatten the keloids scars. But, steroids would not make your scars turn back to match your previous skin tone.
Steroids will not remove keloids scars permanently, so if you want to get rid of these entirely, you might want to try something else for that.
12. Laser Treatment
Laser treatments can decrease the redness in keloids without making them shrink. Successful usage of carbon dioxide laser has worked for keloids. Combined treatment of CO2 partial laser, triamcinolone acetonide injection and pulsed dye laser can be used successfully for keloid scars on upper backs.
The laser called pulsed-dye laser could be really effective at making keloids flat and look paler. This treatment is quite safe and does not cause a lot of pain. You may need several sessions of treatment. The sessions are quite expensive for you, because laser treatments for keloids scars are not usually covered by most insurance plans.
13. Cytotoxic Medicines
These are medication that slow tissue growth down and are used as treatment for cancer. These are injected in the scar and can be used by themselves or combined with other treatments. Pain in the scar, breakdown of the skin and pale areas are side-effects to the medicines.
14. Silicone Gel Sheeting
Silicone gel can be used as dressing that applies pressure and stops air from coming in contact with keloids scar. The dressing should be used for one whole day every week for several weeks. This includes wearing one silicone of silicone gel on your scars for a few hours a day for months to lessen the keloids scars. Physicians will claim similar accomplishment with the compression dressings that are made of material apart from silicone.
15. Retinoic Acid for Keloids
Intralesional or topical retinoids have been given to patients in clinical trials. These have shown fair improvements. But you should not consider this your first line of defense.
You can go with these natural home remedies and medical treatments to get rid of your keloid scars. Fading away keloid scars will be far easier now than before.