Indigestion, also known as dyspepsia, is a very common problem of stomach which mainly occurs for eating too quickly or eating too much calories or fatty foods. Stomach ulcers, an H. pylori bacterial infection, gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD), chronic stress/anxiety, obesity, are also associated with indigestion. Those who are suffering from this problem, they cannot sleep properly in the night. There are some causes which will create indigestion like- overeating, eating fatty food, underlying conditions of various kinds, eating spicy food and so on. Here we are suggesting some of the most important remedies that will help you to get rid of this problem.
How to Get Rid of Indigestion Fast: 20 Important Home Remedies
1. Fennel Seeds
Eating fennel seeds can help you to get rid of indigestion. It will help you to neutralize the spicy foods and also prevents nausea to make your condition better. Try to eat this food twice a day to cure this problem. You should follow these procedures-
- Take a large amount of fennel seeds.
- Now, dry roast, grind and sieve all these fennel seeds.
- Extract half a teaspoon of the powder and pour it into a glass of water. Stir well.
- Drink this remedy two times every day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Alternatively, You Can Follow This Process-
- Take a pot and pour some water in it.
- Put it on the stove and bring it to a simmer.
- Take two teaspoons full of crushed fennel seeds.
- Pour it into the hot water and let it steep.
- Pour the tea in a cup and drink it.
- Take this tea two times every day.
The last and direct option would be to just chew a spoonful of wet fennel seeds for instant relief.
2. Coconut Water
To get rid of indigestion, coconut water is very effective. It contains lots of vitamins as well as minerals which prevent indigestion and it is very effective for your stomach. Try to drink fresh coconut water every morning, about an hour before you have your breakfast.
3. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint tea is very effective and it also improves your digestive system to get rid of indigestion. Besides, this also relieves you from the pain, soothes your body and makes you feel better.
- Take some water in a pot and put it on the stove.
- Mix some peppermint into it and a teaspoon of normal tea or green tea.
- Bring the water to a boil and then let it simmer for about five minutes.
- Pour the tea out in a cup and drink it.
- For best results, drink the tea two times every day, on an empty stomach.
4. Healthy Diet Chart
A healthy diet chart plays an important role to get rid of indigestion. Healthy diet chart contains lots of vitamins and minerals. All the vitamins and minerals improve the immune system and make your body fight against indigestion.
Instead of consuming the normal food products that you are habituated to eating, you may want to try something else. You should try replacing these with some food products that are healthy enough for you in these conditions. Keep the following instructions in mind-
- Make sure you include a wide range of fiber rich foods in your daily meals such as a lot of vegetables and fruits.
- Always, try to extract the fat from every kind of meat you are going to cook and eat.
- You should avoid certain kinds of dairy, the ones that make the food harder to digest and cause problems in your stomach.
It is very much likely that when you are down with indigestion, you will barely be able to eat anything. However, if you are able to really eat anything, you would not like your stomach to be shocked out due to the food items that you are consuming. What you could definitely do as an alternative is to make sure you always eat the kind of foods that are soft and mild.
You Can Follow Some of These Instructions-
- Instead of taking solid food, you might want to drink some soup. You will find that there are a lot of different soups which are healthy and you can have these soups without being concerned about having any indigestion.
- You should always avoid eating fatty food items. There might be various fatty products which you could be tempted to have, but don’t eat them.
- Avoid consuming any kind of spicy foods. Spicy food items might aggravate your current digestive situation.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also known as ACV or cider vinegar. It has anti-inflammatory properties. Though it is acidic in nature, ACV also has alkalizing effects that aids in settle indigestion. To get rid of indigestion, you can drink 2 tablespoons of ACV every day.
- Take a tablespoon of raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
- Mix it to a cup of warm water.
- Also, pour in one teaspoon of pure honey into it.
- Drink the solution three times a day.
- For best results, drink this on an empty stomach.
Ginger works as a preventive measure to get rid of indigestion. Ginger helps to stimulate digestive juices and also helps enzymes to digest your food properly. You can take ginger after finishing your meal and chew it slowly.
- Take one teaspoon of lemon juice, two teaspoons of ginger juice and a pinch of black salt and table salt each.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Add it to a glass of warm water.
- Drink this twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Another option would be the following process-
- Take one teaspoon of honey and add it to two teaspoons of ginger juice.
- Mix these well.
- Pour the solution into a glass of warm water and mix it.
- Drink this once every morning and once every evening.
Apart from that, in order to get reprieve from bloating, cramps, stomach aches and gas, you can also make some homemade ginger tea and drink it.
- To make the ginger tea, take a teaspoon of grated ginger.
- Boil a cup of water in a pot and bring it to a simmer.
- Pour the ginger and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Drink this tea every morning on an empty stomach.
Adding ginger as a regular spice in your daily meals can also aid you if you suffer from indigestion problem.
Cumin has earned quite a good reputation over the course of time as an Ayurvedic remedy. It is mainly used for digestive treatments for problems such as including indigestion, diarrhea, nausea and flatulence. Cumin stimulates the emission of pancreatic enzymes which help in digestion.
- Take some water and heat it.
- Bring it to a boil and pour it into a cup.
- Take one teaspoonful of cumin seed and crush all of it.
- Next, you have to roast the powder thoroughly.
- Mix the roasted cumin powder in the glass of warm water.
- Drink this solution every morning before breakfast and also in the evening one hour before dinner.
For solidity in the stomach, mix half teaspoon of black pepper and roasted cumin seed powder to one glass of buttermilk. Drink this two times a day for about two weeks.
8. Herbal Tea
Herbal tea is another effective remedy to get rid of indigestion. Try to drink herbal tea, after having a heavy meal. Surely it will help you to prevent digestive problems and give you relief from the pain also.
- Take some water in a pot and heat it.
- Bring it to a boil and pour it into a cup.
- Take a bag of any kind of herbal tea you like.
- Dip it into the warm water and let it steep for about two or three minutes.
- For best results, drink this tea two times every day.
9. Take Antacid
Antacids are commonly used to get rid of indigestion. It is fully loaded with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) which will help you to neutralize some of the acids and improve your digestion system. Antacids are accessible in both liquid and powder forms. The main function of antacids is to cancel out the acid produced inside your stomach. However, the action is not goping to last much longer. Antacids only give you momentary relief, say for about an hour or so. You must look for a lasting solution in the meantime.
10. Carom Seeds
Along with fennel seeds, you can also use carom seeds to treat your indigestion. Not a lot of people know of this remedy. So you might be surprised to know that this variety of seeds is good for indigestion. You can use this without thinking of adverse effects. Carom seeds have digestive characteristics which could help get rid of your indigestion in a fast and gentle manner.
- Take a handful of carom seeds.
- Crush and grind the seeds.
- Mix the powder with some freshly grated ginger.
- Now, put this mixture in a cup of lukewarm water and stir well.
- For best results, drink this solution at least two times a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
11. Avoid Smoking
Smoking is another cause of indigestion. Smoking creates problem in esophagus’s ability to reduce the stomach acid flow in your body. If you can’t be able to quit smoking, consult with your doctor to help you in developing plan to quit smoking.
12. Drink Water
Drinking water will help to reduce all the toxins from your body and improves your digestive system. Try to drink at least 12-15 glasses of water every day. While drinking water, keep the following instructions in mind-
- Make sure that you drink only warm water when you are drinking it.
- Always drink water purified and filtered thoroughly, or it might cause further problems in your indigestion.
- Do not drink excessive water that your body does not need. This is going to make you feel even worse, making your movements harder and your body heavier.
13. Sour Yogurt
Sour yogurt is another great remedy to get rid of indigestion. It will help you to soothe your intestines and improve your condition in a great extant.
- Take a cup and pour some hot water into it.
- Take a tablespoonful of sour yogurt and pour it into the cup.
- Mix it well and drink it.
- Drink this once every morning before you eat your breakfast for best results.
Chamomile mainly considered as an old solution but it works greatly to get rid of indigestion. Try to take chamomile tea twice a day and it will reduce your indigestion trouble within few days.
15. Baking Soda
Indigestion usually happens due to elevated levels of stomach acid. One of the most effective and common treatments for your indigestion problem is baking soda, because it will act like an antacid. If you take baking soda regularly, you will be able to cure your indigestion very soon.
- Take some water and boil it.
- Pour it into a glass.
- Put half a teaspoon of baking soda into the glass.
- Drink this in order to neutralize this acid inside your stomach and provide you some relief from bloating and indigestion.
- For best results, drink this solution two times every day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
16. Fresh Foods
Fresh foods include different kinds of fish, vegetable and meats will improve your digestion system and also prevents many diseases. Also, you should always wash your foods thoroughly before cooking them. Make sure you use clean kitchen utensils too.
17. Avoid Drinking Coffee
Try to avoid coffee when you are suffering from indigestion problem because it will make your present situation worst.
To get rid of indigestion, you should walk every day. Walking helps you to reduce mantel pressure and improve your digestion system. It also reduces other diseases. It will be better if you walk two times in a day.
19. Chew Food Slowly
To get rid of indigestion, you have to chew your food slowly. If you chewed your food 27 times before swallowing, it will be easier for your enzymes to break all the foods. Moreover, it will improve your digestion system a lot.
Coriander is quite an efficient spice to take care of indigestion trouble. It boosts the manufacture of digestive enzymes, helping to calm your stomach.
Just mix one teaspoon of roasted coriander powder to one glass of warm buttermilk. Drink this solution two times a day.
To quickly reduce acidity in your stomach, extract juice from fresh coriander leaves. Mix a teaspoon of the juice into one cup of warm buttermilk. Drink this three times a day for best results.
If these remedies do not work properly in curing the problem of indigestion then please consult with your doctor as soon as possible and don’t take any kind of medicine without consulting the doctor.