Dandruff is a problem, indeed! But it is a problem which is very much treatable. Dandruff has various reasons of forming and as many ways of solving too. Excessive shampooing, particularly with harsh chemicals, such as lauryl sulfate, could irritate scalp and dry it up, causing more dandruff. We have here a list some good home remedies based on your search on how to get rid of dandruff fast. Let us go through them-
Factors that Causes Dandruff Including-
- Less Hair Brushing: Less hair brushing is one of the main reasons of having dandruff. It’s because of lacking combing or brushing provides.
- Dry Skin: Dry skin is another main reason of having dandruff. Over heated rooms and cold weather is a main reason of flaking skin. Those who have dry skin; they mainly suffer from flakes of dandruff, which are mainly dry.
- Eczema: It’s a very serious skin disease which increases the dandruff on the scalp. Eczema creates many problems on the scalp including-itching; create dry skin.
- Growth of Malassezia: Malassezia is a fungus which mainly present in the scalp of human. The growth of malassezia mainly increases when the hormones of human body changes and for that the formation of white flakes appears on the scalp.
- Poor Diet: Poor diet is another cause of creating dandruff on the scalp. If u eliminates vitamins, minerals and fats from your diet then you will suffer from this problem.
Beside these, there are some other problems that are also reasonable for creating dandruff including-Allergies, skin infections, unhygienic habits and so on.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast: 15 Powerful Home Remedies For You
Aloe vera used for almost every kind of cosmetic purposes, including scalp care.
- Take some aloe vera gel freshly extracted from the leaf.
- Apply all of it on the scalp.
- Wrap your head with a wet towel and let it stay for about an hour.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly.
If you cannot get raw aloe vera gel, you can buy aloe vera gel from your local store and use that to get rid of the dandruff problem.
2. Basil Leaves for Dandruff Treatment
Herbal treatment like basil leaves is widely known for quick relief from problems like dandruff. Holy basil is has multiple medicinal profits.
- Take some holy basil and Indian gooseberry, crush them together and make a paste.
- Apply it n your scalp and leave for half an hour.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
3. Onion Paste on Scalp
One of the best remedy which prevents the dandruff flakes and bacteria. It also provides a healthy skin. The anti bacterial properties of onion acts efficiently on the micro organisms in your scalp, the remedy works on anybody even with severe symptoms of dandruff.
- Take two or three onions and grind them well, making them into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste all over your scalp.
- Cover the head with a plastic wrap or a wet towel.
- Leave it all night. Be careful to wrap your head tight. The onion juice might bother your sleep.
- In the morning, wash your head with some mild shampoo, not the antidandruff one.
- Repeat it every night until your dandruff problems reduce completely.
This home remedy can promote hair growth in your head if you do it twice every week.
4. Baby Oil
- Apply some baby oil onto your scalp and rub. A little bit would do you good.
- Massage the oil on the scalp well but not too rough.
- Cover your head with a cotton towel and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, wash with some good anti-dandruff shampoo.
- The oil will condition your scalp when you sleeping.
- Do this two or three times every week, at night, before bedtime.
You can also use hot oil treatment as a simple and healthy way to get rid of dandruff fast.
- Heat up a cup of almond oil, mustard oil or castor oil to a mild boil.
- Allow the oil to cool down.
- Now, massage it on your scalp and then cover the head with a warm wet towel.
- After one hour, rinse out your hair with a mild anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Do this once every two days until the dandruff is gone.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take equal amount of apple cider vinegar and water to mix them.
- Wash your hair, then pour the vinegar-water mixture slowly onto the hair.
- Now, scrub it into the scalp.
- Take care to not let it get inside your eyes. If it burns or stings, just rinse the spots with water.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, then wash with water. The vinegar’s stench will disappear when your hair gets dry.
- Do this once a day.
Depending on the severity, the dandruff may take a few days at least, maximum a few weeks, to completely go away.
We recommend you to use a pure version of apple cider vinegar instead of the non-organic varieties in the market.
6. Lemon Juice
- Apply some fresh lemon juice onto your scalp and hair.
- Let the juice set and react, approximately for half an hour.
- The scalp will itch, but don’t fret. That is the lemon working.
- Then wash your hair. If needed, use shampoo.
- Take two tablespoon of curd in a bowl. Heat it for a minute.
- Cut one medium sized lemon into two halves.
- Squeeze the lemon halves into the curd.
- Mix it all together well. Keep one piece of lemon peel.
- Now, apply the mixture into your hair and scalp.
- Use the piece of peel you have to rub through the mixture with.
- When the curd is all over your hair, rub your scalp thoroughly with the lemon skin.
- Repeat this twice a day. Soon, you would be free of dandruff.
Now, make sure you use shampoo after applying this, since this leaves a very bad smell.
[ Also Read: How to Prevent Hair Loss ]
7. Egg Yolks is a Good Remedy
- Mix one or two egg yolks together.
- Apply to the dry scalp and rub well. Place it on the scalp, not hair.
- Cover you head with a plastic bag. Remember- egg stinks and leaks too.
- Leave it on the scalp for an hour.
- Rinse thoroughly with shampoo and water. Make sure you get it all out.
Remember- give your shampoo time to work through. If you wash the hair with dandruff shampoo, you have to leave it for 5 minutes before washing it off.
Also, you can massage egg oil into your scalp for 10 minutes. Leave it on all night. Egg oil has:
- Polyunsaturated Omega-3 fatty acid, such as Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) that revitalizes the follicle cells.
- Cholesterol that brings shine and luster to your hair as well as gets rid of dandruff.
You should always wash the oil off with herbal shampoo off in the morning. Use the shampoo once. If you repeat, it will remove the natural lipids in your scalp and hair, making it brittle and dry.
We recommend you to use egg oil 3 times every week for three months at least for visible results. Habitual and continued use is vital for suitable nourishment in follicular cell membranes of your scalp.
Vinegar treatment is one really efficient technique to get rid of dandruff fast.
- Take 1 tbsp of vinegar and 3 tbsp of water in a mug.
- Massage the scalp with the solution. Make sure you keep your eyes tightly closed.
- Now, wrap your head with a wet towel.
- Let the towel sit for about an hour or so.
- Rinse this mixture off completely, leaving no trace of it in your hair.
- Repeat the procedure daily for a week at least.
This method is well known for making people’s scalp dandruff free and healthy. After one week, you should repeat it once every week, just to be cautious.
9. Coconut Oil
- Put some coconut oil on the scalp and rub gently.
- Try not to get it into the rest of your hair.
- Wash the oil out with shampoo. You would not need conditioner.
- Repeat twice weekly.
Also, you can use the following mixture-
- Mix 2 tsp coconut oil, 2 tsp yoghurt, 3 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp honey together.
- Make a paste of average consistency. Make it smooth, but not so runny that it runs down your head.
- Add a bit more honey and yogurt to thicken it if needed.
- Massage this mixture all over your scalp.
- Spread the mixture evenly and carefully from the roots to the end of the hair.
- Rub gently. Do it for almost 5 minutes. This will open up the pores in your head, promoting blood circulation.
- Let the paste set for half an hour to forty-five minutes and wrap your head in a wet towel.
- Wash your hair with shampoo thoroughly.
10. Eat Vitamins
Eat healthy food only. An overload of unhealthy foods like fast food and sugary foods will result in skin, hair and scalp problems. Foods rich in vitamin B6 and zinc are mainly important to keep healthy scalp and hair.
11. Baking Soda
You can always replace your shampoo with some baking soda. Baking soda can be used in different ways, and it has a reputation of working as a natural dandruff remover.
- Rub a handful of baking soda into your wet scalp and hair.
- Wait for the soda to work through.
- Rinse thoroughly after a minute or two.
After a couple weeks of regular baking soda shampoo, the scalp would begin producing natural oil, leaving it dandruff-free and moisturized.
You can also mix baking soda with honey and use it as a pack to get rid of dandruff.
- Take two tbsp of baking soda and one tbsp of honey.
- Make a paste of it, smooth and thick. If the consistency is not enough, you can add lemon juice until you are satisfied.
- Apply this all over your scalp and rub for a few minutes.
- Let it rest for half an hour. Then rinse thoroughly.
Do this once a week. For extreme cases, do it twice a week until your dandruff reduces.
12. Lemon Juice and Curd
Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl of curd. Mix together. Apply the mix into your hair. Use a piece of the peel to rub through with. After the mixture has been evenly spread, massage your scalp with the peel’s insides. Repeat frequently. Make sure you shampoo after applying this, since it typically leaves a very repulsive stench.
[ Also Read: Home Remedies for Hair Growth ]
13. Olive Oil
Apply olive oil before you wash your hair. Keep the oil for about 5-10 minutes before shampooing your hair.
Before you go to bed, apply olive oil to your scalp. You might want to wrap the hair in a cotton towel cap, maybe use an old pillowcase to absorb all the oil. This will give you a dandruff free head.
- Wash and rinse your hair well.
- Rub plain yogurt on the scalp and then leave for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and wash again, using as modest amount of shampoo as you can.
- Then, a blend of sage, thyme and nettle with 2 tablespoons of vinegar could be used for a final rinse.
You can also use the following remedy-
- Warm some water and put in 1 teaspoon of herb for every cup needed.
- Pour in one cup of boiling solution.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes, and then pour it into your hair.
- After a minute or two, rinse with cold water.
15. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are very effective to treat dandruff.
- Grind a tablespoon of methi seeds. Do not use any mixers, just use your hand.
- Soak the crushed seeds in a large cup of hot boiled water.
- Leave it overnight.
- Next morning, strain it.
- Use this water as a final rinse after you shower.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast: Highly Effective Prevention Tips and Recommendations
16. Aspirin Treatment
Everyone knows that aspirin is a really good pain killer. However, it is also a very good remedy if you want to fight dandruff. You may not believe that, but it is true. Salicylate is an ingredient which is found in aspirin. You will find Salicylate in all kinds of antidandruff shampoos.
- Break two aspirin tablets between a napkin.
- Crush the powder with a cast-iron pan and add water.
- Make a paste and apply it in your scalp.
You can add some crushed aspirin to your antidandruff or herbal shampoo.
When you wash your hair, you should let the shampoo stay in your scalp for a few minutes before washing off.
17. Use an Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
To keep your hair healthy and dandruff free, you can use anti-dandruff shampoo. It breaks the dandruff flakes and protects your hair from pollution.
You have to give your antidandruff shampoo enough time to work. In case you choose to rinse your head with antidandruff shampoo, you have to leave the applied shampoo in there for at least 3 to 4 minutes before washing it all off. This will give the antidandruff shampoo ample time to work through your scalp.
Like we mentioned before, do not overuse your shampoo. That will dry out your scalp and make your dandruff problem more severe.
18. Herbal Treatment
There are many herbal treatments including coconut oil, olive oil, garlic juice, lemon juice, egg yolk. All these remedies are very useful to prevent this problem.
19. Wash and Brush Your Hair
To get rid of dandruff you have to wash and brush your hair every day. By brushing and washing your hair everyday you can remove the dead skin cells of the scalp.
Wash the hair frequently, but not too frequently. Dandruff occurs when the scalp sheds too much dead skin cells due to dryness. Dandruff is not caused by your hair.
We recommend that you wash your hair daily with an antidandruff shampoo up until the dandruff problems go down. When the problems go away, continue shampooing your hair with that anti-dandruff shampoo two times every week, just to be careful.
Too much shampooing your hair, especially with those having harsh chemicals like lauryl sulfate, will irritate your scalp and dry it up, resulting in more dandruff.
20. Get Out in The Sun
Sunlight plays an important role to get rid of dandruff. Before going to the sunlight use a sunscreen on your body and face, and then take a long walk in the sun for the betterment of your hair.
Remember, if you rub some olive oil on your skin before going out into the sun, the vitamin D will be absorbed into your body in a more effective way. However, make sure you do not get sunburns even if you have applied sunscreen. Staying too long in the sun is not advisable.
21. Hair Massage
Hair massage helps to reduce dry skin, flakes, and it also moisturized your hair.
If you have serious dandruff that is not alleviated by these treatments or any over-the-counter dandruff shampoos, please consult a dermatologist.