Ear is an important part of our body and a delicate sense organ. If you don’t take care of your ears properly, then you will have to face so many problems including ear infection. Ear infection is very serious and common problems among adults, children and infants. Most times an ear infection is caused by either viral or bacterial infections. When a person has an ear infection they may have ear pain, hearing that is diminished, their ear feels full, loss of balance, etc.
If you are suffering from this trouble, you should try some remedies to get rid of ear infection. Here we are suggesting some important remedies to get rid of ear infection problem and help give relief to some of the symptoms, especially the pain. If the home remedies do not seem to be working or you start to run a high fever you should then see your physician.
18 Best Home Remedies to Get Rid of an Ear Infection
1. Garlic Juice
This is a well-known home remedy to use for an ear infection. Garlic has natural antibiotic properties to help fight off the infection that is causing your ear infection. It tries to prevent the bacteria of the ear and also relief the ear from pain. Try to put some fresh garlic juice in the ear and you will get immediate relief from the pain. Or you can follow-
- Treatment 1— To extract the fresh juice crush one or two garlic cloves and then use an eye dropper to pick up the juice and put it in your ear.
- Treatment 2— Cook two cloves of garlic and two tablespoons of either mustard or sesame oil until it turns a blackish color. Strain and when it has cooled to a bearable temperature put two to five drops in your infected ear.
- Treatment 3— Boil a couple of fresh garlic cloves in water for five minutes and then take them out. Crush them and add a little salt. Put the mixture in a cloth and put it against your infected ear.
- Treatment 4— To help speed up the healing process, you can eat two to three cloves of garlic each day.
You will notice that the pain will start to decrease as the ear infection starts to heal.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Try to use apple cider vinegar for the treatment of the ear infection. When you use apple cider or white vinegar it will help to get rid of any fungus that might be causing your ear infection and help get rid of ear infection.
- Mix one part apple cider/white vinegar with an equal amount of rubbing alcohol or water and soak a cotton ball in the mixture.
- Put the cotton ball in your ear like it was a plug and leave it for five minutes.
- When you remove the cotton ball lie down on the opposite side to drain the liquid out.
- You can use a hair dryer set on the lowest setting to dry your ear as much as you can but do not put the hair dryer where it is blowing the air down your ear canal.
If you notice pus draining from your ear infection you can use an onion to help control it until you can see your physician. It has an anti-bacterial property which works as pain relieving remedy. The juice of the onion mainly prevents pain and other infection of the ear.
- Treatment 1— Crushes or chop a small onion, put it into a bowl, and heat it in the microwave until it is lukewarm, about one to two minutes. Strain to make sure that there are no onion pieces in the juice. Using an eye dropper puts two to three drops into your ear. Leave it there for two to three minutes, and then let it drain out. With this treatment, it is best if you lie down with the infected ear up and let someone else put the drops in.
- Treatment 2— Bakes an onion for thirty minutes and then cut into halves. Put one-half into a thick cotton sock or cloth and put it in the infected ear for five minutes. Remove and wait ten minutes, repeating the process for another five minutes.
4. Take Plenty of Rest
To get rid of ear infection, you have to take plenty of rest. Don’t push yourself to work hard, otherwise this problem will increase.
[ Also Read: How to Get Rid of Tinnitus ]
Using basil can help to reduce the infection and relieve the pain. When using this home remedy make sure that the cotton ball is not dripping with the mixture and do not get any of it in your ear canal.
- Treatment 1— Gently crush five holy basil leaves to get the juice from them. Apply the juice around and in the infected ear with a cotton ball.
- Treatment 2— If you want to use the holy basil juice just inside your ear you need to mix it with an equal amount of carrier oil such as coconut or almond oil. Soak the cotton ball in this mixture and wipe gently behind your ear, just inside the ear, and around the outer ear.
- Grind or crush three soft mango leaves to get the juice and then warm the juice.
- Put two to four drops into infected ears and within a few minutes you will feel relief from the pain.
- Do this two to three times each day.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
- Put two to three drops in the infected ear. You will feel a bubbly effect and it will appear like foam. Let foaming action stop on its own, which can take ten to fifteen minutes.Tilt head and let solution flow out.
- Tilt head and let solution flow out.
- The next day pours warm water in ear to extract any accumulated dirt and wax and drain.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains anti-bacterial property that can give you instant relief from the pain of an ear infection. Try to use this oil every day in the night before sleeping. It will work greatly.
- Mix two tablespoons of olive oil, one teaspoon of apple cider or white vinegar, one teaspoon of colloidal silver, and three drops of tea tree oil.
- Warm slightly.
- Lie on your side and fill the ear with mixture using an eye dropper, Leave in for five minutes. Turn on opposite side and let drain out completely.
- Do this for two days, two to three times each day.
8. Warm Compress
To get rid of ear infection, you can use warm compress which will lessen the pain of the infected ear. It also protects the ear from other infections.
9. Salt or Rice
Salt is the most available home remedy for the treatment of ear infection and it is very easy for everyone to use. Many people also have rice in the house.
- Heat a cup of salt/rice in microwave for two to three minutes
- Put the hot salt/rice into a thick sock or cloth and seal the end by either tying a knot or securing it with a rubber band.
- Give it a little time to cool some so you do not cause a burn on your face. When you can stand to have it against your face lie down and put it in the infected ear for five to ten minutes.
- Repeat this every day as many times as you need to. The heat from, this will help to relieve the pain and swelling by drawing the fluid from your ear. It will also help to bring down the pressure inside your ear.
10. Rubbing Alcohol
When using rubbing alcohol it is usually used to dry up any water that may be in your ear canal and causing the infection. To do this dampen a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and squeeze a little into infected ear, leave in for two minutes, and drain. This will help to dry up any water in your ear canal and to help keep it dry.
11. Almond oil
Almond oil is very useful to cure the ear infection. Pouring almond oil in the infected ear will give you relief from the pain and reduces inflammation also.
[ Also Read: How to Get Water Out of Ears ]
12. Olive Oil
Many people use olive oil to cook with but it is also a good home remedy to get rid of ear infection.
- Put some olive oil into a small bowl and heat in the microwave until it becomes warm, not hot because you do not want to burn your ear.
- Using an eye dropper, put two drops in your ear.
- To keep it from running back out, either lie down or keep your head tilted to the side for a minute or two.
- The warm olive oil will help the wax into your ear to soften. Using a cotton swab gently remove the wax, but make sure that you do not stick the swab in too far.
- Try to do this a couple of times a day.
13. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is very effective remedy to get rid of ear infection. Try to drop some vitamin oil in the infected ear which will give you relief from the pain and also reduces the infections of inner and middle ear.
14. Breast Milk
Breast milk can also be used as a great remedy to get rid of ear infection. Put some milk in the infected ear with the help of the dropper. Repeat this process every few hours and you will get relief from the pain and infection also.
15. Mango Leaf Juice
Mango leaf juice is very effective to get rid of ear infection. The mango leaf juice prevents the bacteria and gives relief from the pain.
- Grind or crush three soft mango leaves to get the juice and then warm the juice.
- Put two to four drops of juice in the ear twice a day.
- Do this two to three times each day. Surely it will give you the best result within seven or eight days.
16. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera gel can be a great remedy to get rid of an ear infection. It reduces the inflammation or irritation as well as also smooths the skin of the ear. Take the gel and make a paste of it. Then use a dropper to put it in you infected ear.
17. Essential Oils
- Mix two drops lavender oil, three drops tea tree oil, two drops chamomile oil and one tablespoon of carrier oil such as almond or coconut oil. Warm it and put two drops into the infected ear.
- Do this at least three times a day to help get rid of the pain.
18. Herbal Flea Powder
Herbal flea powder is another great remedy to get rid of ear infection. It contains natural ingredients like- rue, rosemary, wormwood etc. These ingredients cure the infection and prevent the bacteria also.
These are the most important herbal and easy remedies to get rid of an ear infection. If you are able to do this treatment properly, you will be able to cure this problem successfully and you will be able to live a beautiful life. If you face acute problem, you should consult with a doctor immediately.