Unpleasant household pests –surely the common are water bugs. It creates instant crowded glory at the first spot. The large cockroach-like critters are more disgusting and difficult to kill. They mainly come to your house in the time of summer from street drains. But there are some easy solutions which play an important role to eliminate them from your house. If you try these remedies, you will be able to get rid of this problem. Here we are proposing some important remedies that will be very helpful to get rid of water bugs and will make your life more easy and comfortable and problem free.
15 Effective Methods on How to Get Rid of Waterbugs
1. Clean Your Home
To get rid of Water bugs, first you have to clean your house properly. Before cleaning your house put on some lovely music, it will refresh your mind. Then you should take some cleaning tools like-Sponge, White Towels, Squeegee, Bucket, Vacuum, Spray Bottle, and so on. With the help of these cleaning tools try to clean the house properly, so that there will be no water bugs available.
- You must make a regular habit of cleaning the entire floor at least twice a week. Also, clean the floor of the kitchen four times a week at least.
- Make sure you throw all of your collected garbage every day. This is necessary because keeping the trash overnight will send out a glowing invitation to many different types of insects and pests including the water bugs.
- You have to keep the sink in your kitchen very clean. Make sure you clean all the dirty dishes before you turn in. If that is not possible, you should fill the sink with some dish washing liquid or powder mixed with clean water. Let the dirty dishes soak in the water until you are ready to wash them.
- Moisture is a potent way to send an invitation to water bugs. Therefore, it is important that you keep your bathroom floors, laundry room and kitchen nicely clean and dry.
2. Keep Your Surroundings Clean
It is not only the insides of your home that you have to take care of. You have to look after the surroundings and the outside of your house just as efficiently. If you have a nice garden outside, always keep it clean of debris. Remember that plants, stacks of leaves and pieces of woods can be a shelter to a variety of insects and pests. Also, you have to make sure that the drain line outside of your home is always clear and that no leaves or other debris are not affecting its flow.
3. Use Vinegar
Vinegar can be an effective remedy to get rid of water bugs. Try to pour down vinegar in your house or in your washroom. It will work greatly. Vinegar is a rich source of anti-bacterial properties. So, it helps to tackle any bacteria caused by water bugs effectively. Vinegar also has characteristics which help to kill water bugs, preventing them from multiplying in number.
- Take 300 ml of liquid vinegar. The higher the concentration, the more will the effect be.
- Pour the vinegar into an empty spray bottle. If the bottle is bigger, you can add more vinegar than 300 ml.
- Close the cork tightly and the spray a bit to check if it works.
- Spray it over the place where water bugs re. Do not mop away the excess.
- Do it two times every day.
4. Cucumber Peels
Cucumber peels are pretty effective to get rid of water bugs. The cucumber peels mainly keep away cockroaches from your house. So we suggest you try this remedy as it is easily found and doesn’t cost too much.
- Cut a fresh cucumber and remove the peel pieces.
- Place the pieces in different places around your house, especially wherever water and moisture are present
- Change the cucumber peels every three days.
Catnips mainly belong to the mint family. It is a useful remedy to get rid of water bugs. You can also make a spray of catnips and use in the corners of house. This natural solution to get rid of water bugs will work in the same way as the bay leaves. The water bugs cannot tolerate the aroma of catnip leaves. Its presence all over your home will help you in squashing away the water bugs entirely.
- Boil 40 grams of catnip leaves into two cups of water.
- After 20 minutes, strain this mixture with the help of a strainer.
- Fill up a spray bottle with the catnip water. Spray it thoroughly around doorways, window sills, in vents and all the other places the water bugs might come from or infest in.
- Apply it three times a day to get rid of the water bugs.
6. Soda Bottle Traps
Another great remedy to get rid of water bugs is soda bottle traps. You can make this soda bottle trap in your home. To make this, first you have to cut the top part of the bottle and remove its cap. After that reverse its position so that it looks like funnel. Then pour a solution of water and soap in the bottle. The cockroaches will slowly move into the bottle and peaked into the soap solution.7.
7. Cayenne, Garlic and Onion
These three ingredients are very useful to get rid of water bugs. Water bugs hate pepper. So, to make a spray of these three ingredients, you have to follow some steps-
- 3 cups water
- One peeled onion
- Two peeled garlic cloves
- One tsp of cayenne pepper
- Spray bottle
- Take 3 cups of water and boil them properly
- Then include cayenne pepper, crushed garlic and crushed onion.
- After boiling, let them cool.
- Then pour them into a spray bottle and apply it on the corners of your home.
8. Hair Spray
Many of us don’t know that hair spray can also be used as a great remedy to get rid of water bugs. Try to use this spray carefully so that cockroaches are not able to escape. Whenever you will see the water bugs, apply you hair spray on them.
9. Baking Soda and Sugar
Make a solution of baking soda and sugar in a clean container. Place it in the kitchen and other areas of your home. The water bugs will get down into the container to eat the sugar and the baking soda will kill them. Sprinkling an even mixture of powdered sugar and baking soda has been one of the most efficient solutions to the water bugs infestations. To attract these insects, a thin lining of this mixture should be used. A reaction is going to take place through their legs, thereby killing the bugs.
- Take equivalent amounts of powdered sugar and baking soda. We recommend 100 gm.
- Mix them well and pour into a little container.
- Identify the areas in where you think the bugs may be present or infest in.
- When you have found the area, take the mixture.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of this mixture all over the target area.
10. Pandan Leaves
Pandan leaves are mainly considered as a scented herb, which are widely used in Asian cooking. It also used as a great remedy to get rid of water bugs. To avoid the problem, you have to cut pandan leaves and place them all around your house. It also keeps your house germs-free. Try to change pandan leaves regularly or when they will get dry
11. Soap Solution
Detergent soap solution is another effective remedy to get rid of water bugs. You can make this solution with a good amount of water and detergent soap. Then pour them into the spray bottle and directly spray on them.
Water bugs have to swim to the water surface in order to breathe. Use of detergent soap solution changes the surface tension of water, preventing water bugs from coming on the surface and taking away water bubbles underwater. As a result, they will drown. If you use this in your swimming pool, it will not be harmful. Dishwashing and detergent soap biodegrades itself and has a balanced pH. Your pool filtration would take them out of the pool.
- Take three tablespoons of liquid dish detergent and pour in an empty spray bottle.
- Fill up the remaining portion of the bottle with water and shake it well.
- Spray the liquid wherever you find disinfected water puddles. Also, spray the solution along the sides of your swimming pool.
- Wait for a few hours. By that time, the bugs will have drowned and also washed away by your pool’s filtration system. Then some brushing and using vacuum cleaner will clean away the dead algae.
- Repeat this process three a week until the problem abates.
12. Cooking Oil
Yes, you can get rid of water bugs with cooking oil. Cooking oil never mixes with water, which is why it can separate water bugs. Bugs will begin to die and then float to the surface of water. If bugs are moved to the bucket containing the oil, the bugs will react to the presence of oxygen, heat and oil are going to help to kill the bugs. Otherwise, they would have multiplied by reproducing in larger numbers, increasing the problem.
- Pour the oil in the area in which water bugs are present and need to be removed or killed.
- Using a net, pull out the water bugs from the place and move them into a bucket with more cooking oil.
- Cover this bucket with its cap.
- Do not lift the cap off of the bucket for an entire day.
- Repeat this method whenever needed.
13. Hot Water
Water bugs cannot bear hot temperature, mainly because their external protective shell breaks down easily. Hence, as the quantity of water bugs rises, increasing the quantity of water and the boiling time for maximum benefit is necessary. Moreover, hot water helps to clean the area as well, which might be affected by fungus or dirt. These are the primary reasons for the multiplication of water bugs in your home. This is going to solve the problem water bugs efficiently.
- Take a pot and pour some of tap water into it.
- Place it on a stove and bring the water to a boil.
- Pour the hot water in a heat resisting jug of flask. Otherwise, you might scald your hand.
- Take the utensil off and directly pour the boiling water over the area.
- Repeat this twice a day for quick relief from this problem of water bugs.
14. Place Food Inside the Refrigerator
Try to place all the foods in the refrigerator. If it’s not possible, try to place the foods in large clean containers.
Alcohol will help you to dry out the entire area if you cover it with this. When excessively sprayed, water bugs and their eggs are going to get dry, causing them to die in droves. Remember that when the bugs are killed off, you have to make sure to repeat the method once again, since the eggs might pop out by accident, causing more water bugs to breed all over the area. It is going to be the quickest remedy in getting rid of water bugs.
- Pour about 400 ml of alcohol in empty spray bottle.
- Add some water to dilute it.
- Close up the lid of the bottle and spray a little to test.
- Spray the alcohol all over the affected area.
- Now, let the alcohol do its work.
- Do it once a day.
These are the most useful homemade remedies to get rid of water bugs. If these don’t work properly, you can take help of professional pest controllers. They will give you the best idea about this serious problem.